The Sandy Bay Bowls and Community Club, located close to the River Derwent, has two grass greens offering excellent playing conditions for up to 112 players at a time. In the playing season, which lasts for approximately six months, the greens are usually open on six days each week. Social games are organised regularly for the enjoyment of members and visitors are always made welcome.
Sandy Bay has teams in the Saturday Pennant, Midweek (Wednesday) and Thursday Pennant competitions.
A social bowling competition is held each Friday afternoon during the season and our popular barefoot bowling competitions are held on Wednesday and Friday evenings.
The Club is fully licensed and is a great place to socialise with club members and friends. Bar Hours over the bowling season are: Monday to Friday from 3pm until 7+pm. Saturday from 12 noon onward. The bar is open from 4.00pm to 6.00pm on Fridays during winter.
Throughout the season we also have enjoyable social functions and new members, friends and visitors are most welcomed to attend.
New members are always welcome at the Club. If you are interested in playing lawn bowls contact the Secretary (using the ‘Contact Us’ link on this page) who can arrange for you to get on the green and have some initial help in ‘having a roll-up’. Bowls are available for you to borrow.
Download our Application for Membership
Detailed Information Follows
See Club Officials page on this website.
Membership Subs 2020/2021 Season
– Bowls Tasmania Affiliation included where appropriate
– EFTPOS is available
- Full Members: $365 with $20 discount for early payment (by 1 August 2020)
- New Members who have never been a member of SBB&CC who are joining from another Club: $215
- First Year Member: $215
- Life Members who play pennant bowls: $65
- Social Members: $15
- Full time students (18 years and over): $215
- Young members (over 17 and under 25, not full-time students): $215
- Junior Members (under 18 years): $84
Others costs – approximate
All clothing to have Bowls Australia logo.
- Second hand bowls $200-$250. New bowls $350–$600
- Second hand or new bowls bag $60—$100;
- Flat white bowls shoes $50–$100;
- Men: Maroon trousers/shorts $80; club shirt $25; club polo shirt $50; white socks; cap/hat $20, Club jacket/wet weather gear.
- Women: Maroon pants/knee length shorts/ ¾ length pants $75; club shirt $25; club polo shirt $50; white socks; cap/hat/visor; maroon/white fleece/ jumper/wet weather gear.
When you can play
Mondays Greens are usually closed for upkeep early in the season
Tuesdays Women’s coaching and practice day until 3.30 pm. Club matches and individual practice
Wednesdays Practice from 10.00 am. Pennant from 12 noon. Twilight Barefoot Bowls from 5.00 pm.
Thursdays Pennant from 11.00 am. Practice from 4.00 pm.
Fridays Practice from 10.00 am. Social bowl from 12 noon. Twilight Bowls from 5.00 pm.
Saturdays Pennant from 11.00 am.
Sundays Practice and social.
The greens are generally open from 10 am onward unless otherwise posted. See rink bookings on Club notice board.
The main Club House is open during the day by using member access code after the security system is disarmed. Access to the top Club House is any time by using member code.
Dates for your diary 2019/2020
See ‘Club Events’ on club website.